Wednesday 2 January 2008

Finished... for now!

Well my packing is finished for today proabably will need something out of those suitcases before I leave on Friday morning!

I mentioned in the last post about my reading material, well that is because they are books you would not associated with a right-wing signed up Fine Gael member!

I have your usual German Phrasebooks. I also have a French and Polish (Don't ask) Phrasebook with me. The main reading materials are by Paulo Freire and Saul Alinksy. The books I am reading by Freire are 'Pedagogy of the oppressed' and 'Pedagogy of freedom : ethics, democracy, and civic courage'. The Alinksy ones I am reading are 'Rules for Radicals' and 'Reville for Radicals'.

Whay am I reading these? Well when I return to Ireland I intend on going back to college to study Social Care in CIT (via a FETAC course in the College of Commerce). These two writers along with Robert Putnam are major writers in the area of community, its all a bit lefty really! I enjoy reading these, I might not agree with them but they will add to my understanding on how some people see community and maybe add to my own views on community.

Well after all the philosophising to time to finish this post and think of anything i didn't pack....