Monday 7 January 2008

Contact Made and Day 1

It is the end of my first day as an Au Pair and it was fantastic. I was collected yesterday after lunch from the hostel and brought to meet the family. What a joy they are. They live in a lovely part of Köln, a good bit out from the city but still on the tram line. It reminds a bit of Ballincollig. Tomorrow is the first day of school after the holidays for the boys so it will be my first early morning and first time taking them to school.

The boys who inform they are now 9 not 8, are two bositerious, full of energy, ruggamuffins, who I must say are the easiest Kids I have ever worked with. I have worked with a lot of Children in my time so I can say that.

The language barrier is something I have noticed and it is a barrier. The parents do not seam to mind as the Kids have to ask me for things in English, but I do not understand any German. It did become a problem towards the end of Sunday in Köln. I am picking up a lot of German, though my Irish seams to be resurfacing. I shouted "Tog a bog e" and "bi curamach" at the Kids. They were mostr confused. I am picking up bits and pieces of German and definately know more then I did on Friday! So things will get better language wise.... I hope!

One good thing about school early in the morning, I get to finish early at night! I finshed at 7:30 tonight! It was great!

Anyway that is it for now as I ma tired and must also get up early!

So guten nacht!

Steve