Friday 11 April 2008

Good Parenting Skills?

Well I have 35 days left in Germany and I did something yesterday that I didnt need to do before. I actually had to send one of the boys to his room. Now, I'm not normally one for punsihments, my bark is normally worse then my bite (literally as I shout!). Normally my punishments would be in the form of not doing what that kid wanted to do. But today, it went to far.

Now it all started off with them both provoking each other to hit each other and of course being boys they did, which led to a shout from me. This continued for a bit but then stopped. Then all of a sudden, one of the boys hit the other full force in the lower back. That was it for me and I sent him to his room. When he eventually went he a hit a few walls on the way and slammed the door.

Of course when his father returned he told his side of the story claiming I should have sent the other boy to his room also. When I explained the story, literally what I have written here, the father said no more, but was I right?

I'm not a fan of big punishments like this, I prefer the old guilt trip or reminding them of times when we are alone if they want to watch TV and that they would want to behave.

I explained 'Brownie Points' to them recently enough and that idea has them whenever I get agree to be good for quite a bit and make me tea and that to gain to elusive points! I think this works better and is more poistive then sending to the room, but yesterday I was tired and was fed up completely with their actions, did I over react? hmmm time will tell...