Monday 17 December 2007

I'm so sad!!!

Argh! This week on two separate nights out I've cried!!!! What am I like!!! Everyone will be here when I get back. Most people think I'm lucky to be off moving to Germany, and I am genuinely excited but I will miss my friends and family here a lot!

I am I supposed to be sad? I am supposed to be excited? Or is it both?

Though I will not miss Cork as a city, it is still 'home' and I will look forward to coming home. It is a strange feeling, I wonder hoe the economic emigrants felt something similar or was it more urgency and need for them?

I'm reminded of a Poem I did for my Leaving Cert back in 2004 it's 'Mac Eile Ag Imeacht' by Fionnuala Ní Fhlannagáin

Cuirfimidne chun bóthair arís inniu
Chuig aerfort Bhaile Átha Cliath.
Deireadh an tsamhraidh buailte linn
Mac eile ag imeacht.
Eisean féin a thiománfaidh an carr
Tús curtha ar a thuras fada.
Ag mionchomhrá treallach, míloighciúil
Meilfimid an aimsir.

Staidéar ar ríomhtheangacha
A bheidh idir lámha aige.
Béarfaidh sé ar an bhfaill
Faoi spalladh gréine i Houston, Texas.
Tar éis slán a chur leis
Agus greim láimhe againn ar a chéile
Pléifimid na buntáistí a bheadh aige thall
Nach mbeadh ar fáil sa bhaile.

Gealgháireach, fuadrach a bheidh
Na stráinséirí inár dtimpeall.
Ní bhacfaimid le cupán caife
Siúlfaimid go dtí an carr go mall.
Deireadh an tsamhraidh buailte linn
Mac eile ag imeacht.


I suppose it events like this that do inspire poems, but that is one that has sprung to mind.

Staying in Ireland is an option but this is an opportunity I cannot pass up. i suppose Robert Frost's Poem 'The Road not Taken' sums up my attitude to me leaving. I am taking the road less travelled.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


Even after writing this post, I feel very emotional....